Winter-time in Colorado is beautiful beyond description. It can also wreak havoc with roads, trees, roofs, foundations, and water pipes. When the temperatures drop below freezing, and below zero, water pipes in your home or business can suddenly present a major concern.
Water pipes that were installed along exterior walls are susceptible to freezing during the winter months. Insulation may be insufficient to protect the pipes when the temps fall hard. Pipes in your attic or basement may vulnerable to the deep cold, as well, and for the same reason – inadequate insulation. And the heat of your home or business may not reach the pipes to protect them from freezing.
When temperatures fall to freezing and below, the water sitting in the pipes can freeze, resulting in pressure that can rupture the pipes. Before that major concern becomes a major expense and a royal mess, Restoration King provides you these precautions to prevent damage resulting from frozen pipes.
- If you’re going to be away from home for an extended time during the winter months, leave the thermostat on or above fifty degrees.
- When the freeze is deep, allow the faucets of your home or business to drip slowly in order to keep the water moving through the pipes.
- Leave the cabinet doors below the sinks open to allow heat to reach the pipes. Leave all interior doors open, so that the heat circulates throughout the home or office.
- It’s best to caulk all holes around or near pipes before the cold season arrives, but if you didn’t do it in Autumn, do it now.
- Purchase foam sleeves to fit around water pipes in your attic, basement, under sinks, and to other fixtures.
Even the water connection from the kitchen sink to your refrigerator should be insulated.
Frost on any pipe is a sign of freezing, and must be remedied as soon as possible. Once a pipe freezes, it must be thawed quickly to avoid the potential and extensive damage caused by bursting water pipes.
Restoration King provides prompt, professional response to your water damage issues. As Colorado’s premier restoration company for fire, water, sewage, and mold damage, our focus is on returning your property and life back to normal quickly and efficiently. Our specialists are on call 24/7, 365 days a year. When you suffer water damage, call Restoration King in Colorado Springs at 719-282-0997, or in South Denver, call us at 720-469-0623. We’re here when you need us.